About Great Neck Plaza

News and Upcoming Events
Public Notices

Village Hall
Elected Officials
Board of Trustees Agenda
Village Budget Summary
Building Department
Housing Department
Public Works Department

Stormwater Management
Code Enforcement Unit

Parking Information
Justice Court
Pay Ticket Online
Village Code
Village Zoning Map
Village Newsletter
Items of Interest
Frequently Asked Questions

Employment Opportunities

Other Activities
Historic Preservation
Special District Services
Community Organizations
Community Phone Numbers
Sister Cities

Contact Us

Village of Great Neck Plaza
2 Gussack Plaza
P.O. Box 440
Great Neck, NY 11022-0440
Phone: 516-482-4500
Fax: 516-482-3503

Frequently Asked Questions

Snow Storm Information
Board of Trustees

What are the Village Hall office hours?

The Village’s business hours are 9:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding legal holidays.  Village Hall offices will be closed for the following holidays:

New Year’s Day (January 1)
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (third Monday in January)
Lincoln’s Birthday (February 12)
President’s Day (third Monday in February)
Memorial Day (last Monday in May)
Independence Day (July 4)
Labor Day (first Monday in September)
Columbus Day (second Monday in October)
Veterans Day (November 11)
Thanksgiving Day (fourth Thursday in November)
Day after Thanksgiving
Christmas Eve (December 24) half-day
Christmas (December 25)

How do I contact Village Hall after hours?
Contact ‘911’ for Police and Fire emergencies.  For non-emergencies after office hours, you can call Village Hall at (516) 482-4500 and leave a voice mail in the general mailbox.  We will respond to voice mail messages left on our recorder on the next business day.

What are the various departments in the Village of Great Neck Plaza?
Mayor's Office, Village Clerk-Treasurer, Housing Department, Building Department, Department of Public Works, Code Enforcement and Village Justice Court

How many employees does the Village of Great Neck Plaza have?
The Village generally maintains a staff of approximately 22 employees; however, we hire seasonal help in the summer to assist in painting, maintenance work and landscaping which are heavy activities at this time of year.

I have a complaint or concern regarding a Village facility or service.  How can I get a response?
You should write a letter to the attention of the Mayor, Village of Great Neck Plaza, P.O. Box 440, Great Neck, NY 11022.  You can also call the Village Hall at (516) 482-4500 and ask to speak with the Mayor's Office.

How do I determine if I am a Great Neck Plaza resident?
The mailing address for a Village of Great Neck Plaza resident is within the 11021 zip code.  Please call Village Hall at (516) 482-4500 with your street address and we can assist you to determine if you live within the Plaza.

How do I obtain a Great Neck Park District "Park Card"?
Residents of the Village of Great Neck Plaza are part of the Great Neck Park District and are encouraged to obtain a “Park Card” to enable you to take advantage of all of Park District’s parks, events and activities.  Please call the Great Neck House at (516) 482-0355 for registration department hours, times and required information for obtaining a Park Card. 

Obtaining a Park Card (New Applicants):
Registration department staff of the Great Neck Park District will verify residency using various approved software and listings available.

If your name and correct address appear in these listings, you will need to show an official photo ID and one piece of official mail.

If you do not have official photo ID, you must show two pieces of official mail.

If your name does not appear on one of the approved listings:

You must show official photo ID and two pieces of official mail.

If you do not have official photo ID you still must provide two pieces of official mail and your park card will be mailed to the address on file.

For further information, visit the Great Neck Park District’s website at: www.greatneckparks.org

How do I find a cultural event in the greater Great Neck area?
Contact Village Hall at (516) 482-4500 or visit our village website (see the Upcoming Events page). Also, you can visit our Business Improvement District’s website (www.shopgreatneck.com) or call them at (516) 829-1301.  You can sign up for our monthly e-newsletter on our village website (see the home page), and you will receive a monthly listing of events and activities in the Village of Great Neck Plaza.  Merchants that would like to include a monthly promotion or promote a special milestone event (i.e. anniversary) can send us information before the 1st of the month, and we will publish it free of charge in our upcoming e-newsletter. You can include a logo and any particulars to suit your business.  We’ll help you design and write the text for an ad, all free of charge.

How do I get a marriage license?
The Town Clerk of the Town of North Hempstead issues marriage licenses at 200 Plandome Road in Manhasset from 9:00 a.m. to 3:15 p.m., Monday through Friday.  For further information, please contact the Town Clerk’s Office at (516) 869-7659.

What should I do if I see a raccoon coming out of the storm sewer?  Should I be concerned and report it?
Raccoons do travel in the storm sewers because this underground infrastructure is dark and they are protected and warm in this environment.  They are nocturnal animals so they are more active at night.  They come out to find food, especially in the spring time when they have had babies.  It is often at dusk time that residents will notice them. 
The issue to be concerned about is whether a raccoon has rabies.  Signs of rabies include wandering aimlessly and paralysis, but such symptoms may also stem from distemper and certain poisons.  Nassau County health officials urge residents to keep their pets on a leash, make sure they are vaccinated for rabies, and keep them away from dead animals.  Anyone with questions or suspect a raccoon that should be investigated by Nassau County Health, please call the Department at (516) 227-9663 or go to their website: www.nassaucountyny.gov/2048/Rabies. It’s not that often that we experience a rabid raccoon, but if you suspect a raccoon is infected, please contact Nassau County Health Department as noted above.  Such raccoons must be collected by a licensed wildlife trapper and the County health department is the agency responsible for this task and testing any suspected raccoon.

I am an artist and would like to have my art exhibited in the Village Court room, how can I apply?
If you are an emerging or established artist looking for a new venue to showcase your work, then you may want to consider exhibiting with the Village of Great Neck Plaza. We are interested in seeing your work and publicly displaying it for the enjoyment of the community.
Our court room, located at Village Hall is outfitted as a gallery with hanging wires to accommodate a variety of picture sizes. If you wish to consider exhibiting with us, please contact the Mayor’s Assistant at (516) 482-4500, or email mayorsassistant@greatneckplaza.net, to set up an appointment to view your portfolio and our exhibit gallery in the courtroom. Generally an exhibit is displayed for approximately 4 to 6 weeks. Works can be for sale; however, artists may not label prices on their pieces, and instead may offer their artwork for sale in a separate catalog handout listing. We will assist you in the setting up an artist reception as well. Artists are responsible for providing refreshments to serve at their reception.


What are the Village's Parking rates downtown?
As of November 18, 2015, Parking rates are as follows:

  • Rate - $0.25 for 30 minutes in all meters on streets, in lots and garages, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday thru Saturday, excluding Holidays
  • Free parking in garage permit spaces after 5 p.m. weekdays, free all day on Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays    
  • Lot #4 (Gussack Plaza) reconfigured: 2 hour meters – 66 spaces and 4 hour meters – 29 spaces (green striped areas)
  • All meters in Plaza Centre and Maple Drive garages, 2 hour parking maximum, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding Holidays
  • Commuter Garage Permits: $250 per quarter starting 1st Quarter 2016 (permits can purchased December 18th when renewals start)

Does the Village have a parking app?

Parking patrons can pay by smart phone in the three municipal lots using the Parkmobile app. The Village has an agreement with Parkmobile, a leading technology vendor of parking payments using a smartphone. With Parkmobile’s mobile app, available for iPhone, Android, Windows, Blackberry and Amazon users, starting your parking transaction takes seconds to download their app and register. Once registered, paying for parking is easy to activate your parking session. Also, you can opt-in for a text message to receive a notification 15-minutes before your parking session expires. This way, if you want to purchase more time, you can add more time to your parking space, provided you haven’t reached the maximum parking limit allowed, which is either 2 hours or 4 hours depending on the specific stall and lot your vehicle is parked in. The Gussack Plaza lot (Lot#4), across from Village Hall, has a green zone with 4-hr. parking; the remainder of the stalls are 2-hr. parking.

You can still use Parkmobile if you don’t have a smartphone, by calling their automated phone system, a toll-free number 1-877-727-5730, or their website www.parkmobile.com. Information on how to pay by the Parkmobile app is located on Parkmobile decal stickers on the muni-meter pay stations and on posted signs in our three open municipal parking lots. Parkmobile offers a more convenient way for people to pay for parking because there’s no worry about having to have quarters handy. It’s just an option; you don’t have to use it. You will still be able to continue paying the traditional way, with quarters and $1 bills. We are implementing this program as a means to make paying for parking easier, more customer-friendly and incorporating technology, which is the preferred way consumers now want to make purchases. With the Parkmobile app, the consumer must agree to pay the convenience fee, payable to Parkmobile, plus pay for parking.

What if the meter reads "DEAD" or “OUT OF ORDER,” can I still park at this space?
Whenever you encounter a meter that is not properly functioning, it is always best to avoid that spot and find a parking spot with a meter that is working properly. However, if you are not able to find another spot then you may park your vehicle at a meter that registers “Dead” or “Out of Order,” in our short-term metered lots (4 hours, 2 hours, or less), if you first call and notify the Village and park not longer than the designated time limit. If your meter reads "Fail" that does not mean that the meter is broken. It means that your quarter did not register and you should wait a minute until the meter resets and insert another quarter. Note: Please call Village Hall, Front Desk, at 482-4500 to report a malfunctioning parking meter so we can investigate it and fix the meter. If possible, identify the meter number and location when reporting a broken meter.

Does the Village have a printed Parking Brochure?
Yes, the Village has a printing Parking Brochure that explains our parking meters, where they are located, the hours of operation and what to do in the case of a “failed” or broken meter. Also, please be advised that printed copies are available for FREE on display at Village Hall and in acrylic holders situated in Lot No. 4 across from Village Hall (near the alleyway to Middle Neck Road) and in Lot No. 2 at the corner of Grace Avenue and Bond Street at the edge of the small pocket sitting area.  It might be helpful to keep a copy of the Parking Brochure handy in your car glove box or other compartment as a reference guide.

When is parking in the two municipal garages free?
Parking in the Plaza Centre (Village Hall) and Maple Drive Garages is FREE in all permit parking spaces weekdays from 5:00 p.m. until 8:30 a.m. Monday through Friday.  It is FREE all day on Saturdays and Sundays.

Who is eligible to obtain permits to park in the Plaza Centre and Maple Drive Garages?
Employers and employees who commute to work in the Village of Great Neck Plaza are eligible to receive a Commercial Parking Permit. Residents of multiple dwellings in the Village of Great Neck Plaza are eligible to receive a Residential Parking Permit, one per household on a limited basis. To obtain a parking garage permit you will be required to complete the proper garage parking application and attach a copy of your current driver's license and current vehicle registration. Residents will also be required to produce two forms of proof of residency.
Cost:  Currently $90.00 per quarter (3 months).

Where can seasonal and part time workers park for a full day?
The Village has created eight long-term parking meters on the rooftop of the Gussack Plaza Garage.  Please come in to the Village Hall during permit hours to purchase a $5 parking permit.  You will then be able to park at one of the 10 hour meters but you will have to deposit quarters into the meters for the amount of time that you want to park.

Are commuters (residents of the Great Neck Peninsula that commute via public transportation (LIRR) to New York City) parking permits available?
When space permits, the Village may also issue Commuter Parking Permits, on a first-come, first-serve basis, for residents of the Great Neck Peninsula that commute via public transportation (LIRR) to New York City. There are only a limited number of commuter parking permits available, quarterly, and these parking spaces are confined to the rooftop of the Plaza Center Garage.   The number of commuter spaces is subject to change, depending on the season, and weather conditions.  Also, the number fluctuates depending on the availability of Commercial Parking Permits sold.  To obtain a parking garage permit you will be required to complete the proper garage parking application and attach a copy of your current driver's license and current vehicle registration.  Renewals of commuter permits cannot be done through the mail and must be done in person at Village Hall starting the 20th of the month (or alternate date if the 20th falls on a weekend) prior to the start of the quarter.  Commuter parking permits are issued on a first-come, first-serve basis and once filled persons will be placed on a waiting list.
Cost:  Currently $250.00 per quarter (3 months).

What are the hours to renew garage permits?
Monday through Friday, from 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. and from 12:00 Noon to 1:00 p.m. Once you are registered with a quarterly parking permit, subsequent quarterly permits may be renewed by mail, except for Commuter Parking Permits, which must be renewed in person at Village Hall.

What is a street permit and who is eligible to obtain one?
Street parking permits are issued only to residents of multiple dwellings within the Village of Great Neck Plaza.  This permit exempts you from the three hour parking limit between 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. on the un-metered streets in the Village of Great Neck Plaza.  Please note that this permit does not exempt you from the street cleaning regulations or any other regulation on our streets, lots or garages. We also issue special street parking permits to residents of single-family homes.  These permits are slightly different, so please contact the Village Hall at (516) 482-4500 for further information.

What are the hours to renew street permits?
9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.

What do I need to bring to obtain/renew my street permit?
The applicant's current car registration and valid driver's license.  If the Village address is not on the license and registration, then two proofs of residency must be shown (signed lease or contract, current utility bill or a letter from the board/management company stating you are residing in the apartment).  The cost for the permit is $10.00.

Where can I park my car when I am on vacation?
Your car can be parked on the street if you have a valid street parking permit.  Try to get a neighbor to move your car on the street cleaning day, which is indicated on a street sign where you park your car.  In special situations, the Village can issue temporary permits.  Please call the Village at (516) 482-4500 for more information.

How do I obtain a handicapped parking permit or license plate?
A handicapped parking permit may be obtained for persons with a permanent or temporary disability.  You do not have to be a driver.  A registered owner of a vehicle may apply to get a handicapped parking permit issued in the name of the person with a disability regardless of the age; e.g. children with a qualifying disability, legally blind, etc.  Handicapped parking permits are obtained from the Nassau County Office of the Physically Challenged located at 60 Charles Lindberg Boulevard, Uniondale, NY  11553 or by mail, telephone their offices at (516) 227-7399. 

Snow Storm Information - Do I have to move my car for street cleaning when it snows?
Please be advised that alternate side of the street parking for the purpose of street cleaning and snow removal will be suspended for 24 hours after the cessation of a significant snow storm with accumulation of at least 4 inches of snow as published by the National Weather Service.

The Village allows overnight parking in our municipal parking garages (located on Maple Drive and Gussack Plaza) when there is a significant snow storm to get parked vehicles off the street to facilitate snow plowing. Please be advised that these parking spaces are ONLY for Great Neck vehicles with a resident street parking sticker or quarterly permit holders.  Vehicles are not permitted to park in spaces designated for village officials, police or handicapped.  Vehicles having only a resident street parking permit must remove their vehicles from the parking garage by 8:00 a.m. following the snow event to avail spaces for garage permit holders.  Contact Village Hall at (516) 482-4500 the following day of a storm to see whether parking is being enforced, or waived due to the storm event.

In addition, please note that property owners are responsible for the snow removal from adjoining sidewalks. When removing snow from your property please do not put the snow back into the roadway as this inhibits the Village's efforts to clear the roadway for safe travel.

Where and when can I pay for parking violations?

All fines are payable in person, by mail or you may click here to pay online to the Village of Great Neck Plaza-Justice Court, 2 Gussack Plaza, Great Neck , NY 11021, on or before the return date of the summons. If you would like to pay in person, please come to the Court office located within the Village Hall Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. Payments can also be made on any court night. We accept cash, personal check, money order, certified check and Visa, Mastercard and Discover.

I received a moving violation.  How do I pay it?
In order to pay for a moving violation, you first must enter a plea of guilty.  You may do so either by mail (sign part "A" on the back of you summons and return it to the Justice Court) or in person on your scheduled court date, as indicated on your summons. Please click here to see the appropriate fine due. 

I want to plead not guilty.  How do I do that?
You can plead not guilty in court before the Judge.  You can plead by mail on moving violations by signing part "B" on the back of the summons and returning it to the Justice Court.  Not guilty pleas require that you appear for a trial at a later date.

How long do I have to answer a summons?
All summonses issued have a returnable court date on them.  You must enter a plea by that date or the summons will accrue late penalties.

I was in my car.  Why did I get a Double Parking summons?
It does not matter if you are in your car or not.  It does not matter if your car is running or not.  NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law sets the standards and definitions for double parking, which may differ from what you may consider double parking.  Double parking jeopardizes lives and/or results in serious personal injury.  By parking in the roadway, other vehicles are forced to move around your vehicle, possibly towards oncoming traffic, creating an extremely hazardous condition for motorists and pedestrians.

Why can't I "feed the meter"?
Short term on-street parking provides for convenient access for customers to neighboring business and services.  Time limitations at meters ensure convenience and turnover.  If you surpass the time limitation at a meter, either on-street or in a lot, it is considered meter feeding and subject to an overtime violation.

What is an overtime violation?
An overtime violation is issued because you surpassed the time limitation at the meter on the street or in the lots and garages.  The time limitations at the street meters are two hours. 

Why are the street cleaning regulations enforced in the winter?
To clear the street for proper snow removal.

What are the dog leash and clean-up regulations?
Chapter 73 of the Village of Great Neck Plaza Code, regulates that dogs must be leashed at all times and you must clean-up after your dog.  The penalty for violation of this chapter has a current maximum fine of $250.00.

What can I do if I am unhappy with the decision in a case that went to trial in the Plaza Justice Court?
If you feel that the Judge made the wrong decision at your trial, you should file an appeal with the Appellate Term of the Supreme Court. To file an appeal the defendant must complete a Notice of Appeal and file it with the Court Clerk of the Village of Great Neck Plaza within 30 days from the date you were found guilty at trial.

The appellant must buy the minutes of the trial or plea and sentence, plus minutes of any motion hearings.  Unless required by either side, minutes of arraignment and adjournments are not needed.  The official Court transcript must be given to the Court Clerk of the Trial Court. 

All further questions about the appeal process should be directed to the Appellate Term of the Supreme Court:

Appellate Term – Supreme Court
141 Livingston Street – 15th Floor
Brooklyn, NY  11201


Is it my responsibility to fix the sidewalk in front of my property?

Yes.  The Village Code (Section 185-35) places the responsibility for the maintenance and repair of the sidewalk on the adjoining property owner.

I received a Notice of Violation for my sidewalk.  What must I do?
If you have received a Notice of Violation from the Village, you must make satisfactory repairs.  If the repairs are not done on a timely basis by the property owner, the Village will undertake the necessary repairs and assess these costs as a lien onto the individual property owner's taxes. Please contact the Village Building Department at (516) 482-4500 for restoration specifications.

I am a licensed contractor with the County/City; do I need a separate license with the Village of Great Neck Plaza?
No, as long as you are licensed with the Town of North Hempstead or Nassau County.

What are the allowed hours of construction?
Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. and Saturday, 9:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.  You are not permitted to perform any work on Sunday.

Why do I need a permit to do construction work?
So the Village can maintain that such work is being performed in a safe and legal manner according to regulations.

What are the fees for construction permits?
Permit fees vary depending on the extent and length of work.  Call the Village Building Department at (516) 482-4500 for exact fees.

If I see a street light outage, what should I do?
Please make a note of the location where you noticed the light outage and contact the Village Building Department at (516) 482-4500.  These can be reported at night as well by leaving a voice mail message in the general mailbox.

I need a copy of a building plan or file.  Where should I go and what should I do?
You must come to the Village Building Department with your request and we will copy a plan or file for a minimal fee.

Do I need a permit to display a sign in my store window?
Most likely.  Please contact the Village Building Department at (516) 482-4500 for specifications on the Village's sign ordinance.

Which roads are County roads in the Village of Great Neck Plaza?
Grace Avenue, Cutter Mill Road, Great Neck Road and Middle Neck Road are under the jurisdiction of Nassau County.

How do I report a pot hole in the street?
Telephone the Village’s Superintendent of the Department of Public Works (DPW) at (516) 482-4500.   Our DPW Superintendent will need the location of the pothole to dispatch personnel.  Please leave your name and telephone number for a returned call.  Please be aware that the Village does not have jurisdiction and is unable to repair County roads in our Village, which are Middle Neck Road, Grace Avenue, Great Neck Road and Cutter Mill Road.  Please report potholes on these roadways directly to your Nassau County Legislator for follow-up at (516) 571-6210.  You can also contact the Mayor’s office and let us know at (516) 482-4500 so that we can monitor the situation with the County.

Garbage and Recycling

The garbage or recyclables did not get picked up today, who can take care of this?
Please contact Jamaica Ash directly at (516) 333-2211, our current carter who handles the Village’s garbage collection services, because they have specific questions that will need to be answered to figure out why the garbage or recyclables did not get picked up. In addition, please contact the Village Building Department at (516) 482-4500 so we may monitor any complaints.

Regarding recycling, the Village of Great Neck Plaza follows the Town of North Hempstead’s recycling program.  For further information, please click here for the Town’s sanitation and recycling information webpage at: http://www.northhempstead.com/recycle/.  Homeowners are able to obtain recycling buckets from the Town of North Hempstead. You may pick up a recycling bucket at the following three locations: 

    Solid Waste Management Authority, 802 West Shore Road, Port Washington

    Tully Park, 1801 Evergreen Avenue, New Hyde Park

    ‘Yes We Can’ Community Center, 141 Garden Street, Westbury

Should you require a second bucket, they are available for purchase for $12.00 as quantities allow. If you have received a bucket/lid within the last year and it has been lost, broken or damaged, in order to receive a replacement, you must purchase it for $12.00.

What can I do if I do not get enough heat in my apartment?

First, contact your superintendent, landlord or management company.  If there is no response, you may then contact the Village Building Department at (516) 482-4500 to verify a violation has occurred.  Heating should be maintained at 70F (three feet from the window, 5 feet up from the floor) when the outside temperature is below 55F.

What is the STAR exemption and where do I apply for it?

STAR is the New York state school tax relief program that provides an exemption from school property taxes for owner-occupied primary residences. There are two exemptions offered: (1) Basic STAR exemption is granted to all primary residence homeowners regardless of age or income.  (2) Enhanced STAR exemption is granted to persons 65 years of age or older that fall within the income guidelines.  The Village does not offer this exemption.  For an application for the STAR exemption, call the Nassau County Department of Assessment at (516) 571-1500.  You may also access Nassau County's website for further information at: http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/agencies/Assessor/

Does the Village offer a real property tax exemption for veterans?
Yes. The Village offers the "eligible funds" veterans exemption to all homeowners, including those who own shares in cooperative apartments.  The eligible funds exemption provides a partial exemption from real property taxation where property owned by a veteran has been purchased with pension funds or insurance monies received by the United States or New York State in recognition of the veteran's military service.  If you qualify you may receive an exemption up to a maximum of $5,000.  This is applied to the assessed value of your property.  However, this exemption is applicable to general municipal taxes, but not to school taxes or special assessments.  For more information or to receive an application, please call the Village Clerk at (516) 482-4500.

Does the Village offer a real property tax exemption for senior citizens?
Yes, however, unlike the veterans exemption it does not include shareholders of cooperative apartments.  The senior citizen tax exemption is available to those residents who own real property and are 65 years old or older with a maximum annual income of $24,000 or less.  If eligible, the assessed value of your residential property is reduced by 50%. For more information or to receive an application, please call the Village Clerk at (516) 482-4500.

Board of Trustees
When is the Village election held?

The Village holds its annual election on the third Tuesday of March.  The elected offices for the Village and the terms for each are as follows: Mayor (two years), Trustees (two years), and Village Justice (four years).

Do I need to register with the Village to vote in the Village election?
No. As long as you are a resident of Great Neck Plaza and are registered with the Nassau County Board of Elections, you may vote in a Village election.  However, you must be registered no later than 25 days before the election.

Can I vote by absentee ballot in a Village election?
Yes, under certain circumstances such as illness, vacation, and military service. For information or to get an application for an absentee, please call the Village Clerk at (516) 482-4500.

When does the Village's fiscal year start?
The Village fiscal year begins March 1 and ends February 28 or 29 depending if it's a leap year.

Can anyone attend a Board of Trustees meeting?
Yes, these meetings are open to the public.  However, if there is an issue you would like to discuss with the Board of Trustees, you should contact the Village Clerk at (516) 482-4500 to be put on the agenda as a "Request to be heard" item, which are usually taken after noticed public hearings or other continued matters.  The Board of Trustees convenes on the first and third Wednesday of each month.