About Great Neck Plaza
News and Events
Board of Trustees Agenda
Village Budget Summary
Public Works Department
Code Enforcement Unit
Pay Parking Ticket Online
Items of Interest
Frequently Asked Questions
Special District Services
Community Phone Numbers
Village of Great Neck Plaza
2 Gussack Plaza
P.O. Box 440
Great Neck, NY 11022-0440
In the event of any weather emergency, The Village of Great Neck Plaza urges residents to do the following:
- If you haven’t registered your cellphone or smartphone with LIPA, we urge you to do so now, so you can remain in touch with LIPA, if you experience a power outage at your home or business. Once registered, you can report an outage to LIPA via text messaging “OUT” to 69-5472. LIPA will respond with status updates of the outage and estimated restoration times. You can also report an outage by telephone to LIPA’s Call Center 1- 800- 490-0075 or at 631-755-6900 or online at www.lipower.org.
- Please stay indoors, and off the roads for your safety and to allow DPW and emergency crews to respond.
- If you see any downed wire, assume it is live and do not go near it. Report a downed wire to LIPA’s Call Center (see above).
- If you live in a multiple dwelling, please be in contact first with your management company should you experience an outage and there’s no heat in your building from this event. Nassau County OEM has advised that the American Red Cross is in the process of establishing a shelter should facilities be needed. For location(s) and further information, call the American Red Cross Hotline at 1-877-733-2767 or the County’s Warm Bed Hotline at 1-866-WARM-BED.
- In the event of a major snowstorm of at least 4 inches of snow, we urge you to park in your driveways if you have one for ease in street plowing. If you are concerned about shoveling out your vehicle left on the street, you can park it in either of the Village’s two municipal garages at Plaza Centre and Maple Drive, provided you have a VGNP resident sticker or a VGNP Garage quarterly permit. Please be advised that parking is prohibited in spots designated for Handicapped Parking (unless you have a valid handicapped parking permit), Village Officials or Police Parking. Please call Village Hall at 482-4500 to confirm parking will be permitted.
Additional storm tips advised by LIPA include the following steps customers should take now to prepare for the possibility of a power outage:
- Make sure you have a working, battery powered radio (County Executive Ed Mangano suggests KJOY at 98.3 for Nassau County and LI-based storm updates) or TV and a good supply of fresh replacement batteries. Have flashlights available for all family members. Make sure all motor driven equipment, such as garage door openers, can be operated manually.
- When using a portable generator, make sure all LIPA-powered equipment is disconnected. This will avoid severe hazards when reconnecting the power to your home or business.
- Have a first aid kit at home and check its contents to make sure they are complete and up to date. If you have family members with special medical needs, such as insulin or other prescription drugs, check to make sure you have an adequate supply.
- Do not use charcoal to cook indoors: deadly carbon monoxide gas can accumulate in your home.
- If you have an elderly neighbor, be a Good Samaritan and check on his or her status. Even a quick telephone call during a storm can provide much appreciated assurance that help is nearby, if needed.
- Additional storm safety and preparedness tips and an informational video and guidance are available on the Long Island Power Authority’s (LIPA) Storm Central website at http://www.lipower.org/stormcenter/safety.html.
- The Town of North Hempstead’s 311 Call Center is open to answer any questions you may have. Dial 311 or 516-869-6311 (Town-311) from outside the Town to speak to one of the call takers.