Building FAQ's


 Is it my responsibility to fix the sidewalk in front of my property?

Yes.  The Village Code (Section 185-35) places the responsibility for the maintenance and repair of the sidewalk on the adjoining property owner.

 I received a Notice of Violation for my sidewalk. What must I do?

If you have received a Notice of Violation from the Village, you must make satisfactory repairs.  If the repairs are not done on a timely basis by the property owner, the Village will undertake the necessary repairs and assess these costs as a lien onto the individual property owner's taxes. Please contact the Village Building Department at (516) 482-4500 for restoration specifications.

 I am a licensed contractor with the County/City; do I need a separate license with the Village of Great Neck Plaza?

No, as long as you are licensed with the Town of North Hempstead or Nassau County.

 What are the allowed hours of construction?

Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. and Saturday, 9:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.  You are not permitted to perform any work on Sunday.

 Why do I need a permit to do construction work?

So the Village can maintain that such work is being performed in a safe and legal manner according to regulations.

 What are the fees for construction permits?

Permit fees vary depending on the extent and length of work.  Call the Village Building Department at (516) 482-4500 for exact fees.

 If I see a street light outage, what should I do?

Please make a note of the location where you noticed the light outage and contact the Village Building Department at (516) 482-4500.  These can be reported at night as well by leaving a voice mail message in the general mailbox.

 I need a copy of a building plan or file. Where should I go and what should I do?

You must come to the Village Building Department with your request and we will copy a plan or file for a minimal fee.

 Do I need a permit to display a sign in my store window?

Most likely.  Please contact the Village Building Department at (516) 482-4500 for specifications on the Village's sign ordinance.

 Which roads are County roads in the Village of Great Neck Plaza?

Grace Avenue, Cutter Mill Road, Great Neck Road and Middle Neck Road are under the jurisdiction of Nassau County.

 How do I report a pot hole in the street?

Telephone the Village’s Superintendent of the Department of Public Works (DPW) at (516) 482-4500.   Our DPW Superintendent will need the location of the pothole to dispatch personnel.  Please leave your name and telephone number for a returned call.  Please be aware that the Village does not have jurisdiction and is unable to repair County roads in our Village, which are Middle Neck Road, Grace Avenue, Great Neck Road and Cutter Mill Road.  Please report potholes on these roadways directly to your Nassau County Legislator for follow-up at (516) 571-6210.  You can also contact the Mayor’s office and let us know at (516) 482-4500 so that we can monitor the situation with the County.