General FAQ's


 What are the Village Hall office hours?

The Village’s business hours are 9:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding legal holidays.  Village Hall offices will be closed for the following holidays:

  • New Year’s Day (January 1)
  • Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (third Monday in January)
  • Lincoln’s Birthday (February 12)
  • President’s Day (third Monday in February)
  • Memorial Day (last Monday in May)
  • Juneteenth (June 19)
  • Independence Day (July 4)
  • Labor Day (first Monday in September)
  • Columbus Day (second Monday in October)
  • Veterans Day (November 11)
  • Thanksgiving Day (fourth Thursday in November)
  • Day after Thanksgiving
  • Christmas Eve (December 24) half-day
  • Christmas (December 25)

 How do I contact Village Hall after hours?

Contact ‘911’ for Police and Fire emergencies.  For non-emergencies after office hours, you can call Village Hall at (516) 482-4500 and leave a voice mail in the general mailbox.  We will respond to voice mail messages left on our recorder on the next business day.

 What are the various departments in the Village of Great Neck Plaza?

Mayor's Office, Village Clerk-Treasurer, Housing Department, Building Department, Department of Public Works, Code Enforcement and Village Justice Court.

 How many employees does the Village of Great Neck Plaza have?

The Village generally maintains a staff of approximately 22 employees; however, we hire seasonal help in the summer to assist in painting, maintenance work and landscaping which are heavy activities at this time of year.

 I have a complaint or concern regarding a Village facility or service. How can I get a response?

You should write a letter to the attention of the Mayor, Village of Great Neck Plaza, P.O. Box 440, Great Neck, NY 11022.  You can also call the Village Hall at (516) 482-4500 and ask to speak with the Mayor's Office.

 How do I determine if I am a Great Neck Plaza resident?

The mailing address for a Village of Great Neck Plaza resident is within the 11021 zip code.  Please call Village Hall at (516) 482-4500 with your street address and we can assist you to determine if you live within the Plaza.

 How do I obtain a Great Neck Park District "Park Card"?

Residents of the Village of Great Neck Plaza are part of the Great Neck Park District and are encouraged to obtain a “Park Card” to enable you to take advantage of all of Park District’s parks, events and activities.  Please call the Great Neck House at (516) 482-0355 for registration department hours, times and required information for obtaining a Park Card. 

Obtaining a Park Card (New Applicants):

  • Registration department staff of the Great Neck Park District will verify residency using various approved software and listings available.
  • If your name and correct address appear in these listings, you will need to show an official photo ID and one piece of official mail.
  • If you do not have official photo ID, you must show two pieces of official mail.
If your name does not appear on one of the approved listings:
  • You must show official photo ID and two pieces of official mail.
  • If you do not have official photo ID you still must provide two pieces of official mail and your park card will be mailed to the address on file.

For further information, visit the Great Neck Park District’s website.

 How do I find a cultural event in the greater Great Neck area?

Contact Village Hall at (516) 482-4500 or visit our village website (see the Upcoming Events page). Also, you can visit our Business Improvement District’s website or call them at (516) 829-1301.  You can sign up for our monthly e-newsletter on our village website (see the home page), and you will receive a monthly listing of events and activities in the Village of Great Neck Plaza.  Merchants that would like to include a monthly promotion or promote a special milestone event (i.e. anniversary) can send us information before the 1st of the month, and we will publish it free of charge in our upcoming e-newsletter. You can include a logo and any particulars to suit your business.  We’ll help you design and write the text for an ad, all free of charge.

 How do I get a marriage license?

The Town Clerk of the Town of North Hempstead issues marriage licenses at 200 Plandome Road in Manhasset from 9:00 a.m. to 3:15 p.m., Monday through Friday.  For further information, please contact the Town Clerk’s Office at (516) 869-7659.

 What should I do if I see a raccoon coming out of the storm sewer? Should I be concerned and report it?

Raccoons do travel in the storm sewers because this underground infrastructure is dark and they are protected and warm in this environment.  They are nocturnal animals so they are more active at night.  They come out to find food, especially in the spring time when they have had babies.  It is often at dusk time that residents will notice them. 

The issue to be concerned about is whether a raccoon has rabies.  Signs of rabies include wandering aimlessly and paralysis, but such symptoms may also stem from distemper and certain poisons.  Nassau County health officials urge residents to keep their pets on a leash, make sure they are vaccinated for rabies, and keep them away from dead animals.  Anyone with questions or suspect a raccoon that should be investigated by Nassau County Health, please call the Department at (516) 227-9663 or go to their website. It’s not that often that we experience a rabid raccoon, but if you suspect a raccoon is infected, please contact Nassau County Health Department as noted above.  Such raccoons must be collected by a licensed wildlife trapper and the County health department is the agency responsible for this task and testing any suspected raccoon.

 I am an artist and would like to have my art exhibited in the Village Court room, how can I apply?

If you are an emerging or established artist looking for a new venue to showcase your work, then you may want to consider exhibiting with the Village of Great Neck Plaza. We are interested in seeing your work and publicly displaying it for the enjoyment of the community.

Our court room, located at Village Hall is outfitted as a gallery with hanging wires to accommodate a variety of picture sizes. If you wish to consider exhibiting with us, please contact the Mayor’s Assistant at (516) 482-4500, or email to set up an appointment to view your portfolio and our exhibit gallery in the courtroom. Generally an exhibit is displayed for approximately 4 to 6 weeks. Works can be for sale; however, artists may not label prices on their pieces, and instead may offer their artwork for sale in a separate catalog handout listing. We will assist you in the setting up an artist reception as well. Artists are responsible for providing refreshments to serve at their reception.